Sunday, September 14, 2008

Two Parties - Is Anyone having fun at either?



This post will be short as I am tired and a little worked up. Perhaps I will go into this more another time..I generally try to avoid politics...but I am feeling incredibly frustrated right now and these are the reasons...The Democrats and the Republicans, Fox News and CNN, The Huffington Post and Rush Limbaugh, Keith Oberman and Sean Hannity! The Obama campaign and The McCain campaign! A question each person/group should be asking themselves and also a great line from a ColdPlay song coincidentally: Am I part of the cure or am I part of the disease? I would dare say ALL of the above are part of the disease..and if you chose Fox News and not CNN or Keith Oberman and not Sean Hannity or The Republican and not the Democrats...I would dare say you just may be too! We are starting to get into ridiculous, absurd and quite frankly pathetic territory as the election moves closer. How did we sink to such a low in the political process? Do you blame the Democrats? Do you blame the Republicans? Do you blame yourself in anyway? Do you care enough to look for objective information to help you make the best choice or do you simply run to the media outlet that most closely aligns with your points of view on most issues? If you are making your decision purely based on what you are hearing on Fox News or on NPR, if you are voting for someone purely because of the color that their skin is or is not, or because of the sex of their vice president...you probably should sit this one out... Don't worry..its probably not as much your fault as it is this...the Two Party System. OK maybe you should not sit this one out..voting is too important. One of the arguements made for such a system is that it filters out the extreme or fringe beliefs on either side. I disagree...I think it serves to allow each side to define the other by those fringe elements. This generally would not be a huge problem if the reliable media did its job but they are perhaps the bigger part of the problem. We seem to have a two party media too which makes it tough for th average person to make any sense of it at all. I would dare say the media is the bigger part of this problem. How about just giving us the facts...and no we ar not each entitled to our own interpretation of the facts....facts are facts..if they are being interpreted..than they are not facts. So while I cool down a bit..and try to form some semi intelligent thoughts on the matter..What say you? Two party system love it or hate it? I hope its not feeling the love from me right now!

1 comment:

jrt said...

Linc,

Your analysis and observations are particularly astute ! The media has lost its credibility and perhaps their RIGHT to be a free and independent press !


.....but hey......what do I know ?

well done,son !