Thursday, August 21, 2008

Take those old records off the shelf!


So the wife and kids are out of town for a week or so. The first weekend rocked..I went fishing until I got tired of it..went to see all those movies at the theater that I had not had time to...and ate pretty much whatever I wanted when I wanted. While there was no dancing around the house with just a shirt and my underwear on (Molly prefers I save those sort of antics for when she is around) there has been plenty of the following: the same dirty cups sitting in the sink that was there a week ago, the same dirty socks laying on the floor now covered with a weeks worthy of other dirty laundry, and chairs still pulled up to within two feet of the television where they were moved the day before.
I made the mistake of telling a friend that Molly had asked me to pick some vegetables from the garden while she was gone. Without any background on my friends that would probably seem like a harmless statement to make but when I add the fact in that my friends are actually idiots it may be easier to see how that could cause me some grief. A flurry of emails with the subject heading of Manly Things were suddenly whipping around about the chores Molly had left for me, laundry to fold, floors to clean, and sewing to be done. Attempting to be funny and also defend myself I responded "Ha! I spent last night sitting around in my underwear watching Platoon and scratching my itchy parts". Now this was a partially true statement but its real intent was to leave them with a mental picture they likely were not looking for. This was followed by another flurry of ridiculous emails to which I responded "and tomorrow night its Saving Private Ryan and chicken wings in the buff". There was another flurry of emails that progressively became more idiotic. My phone rang and I could see it was an internal number. A coworker called to tell me that he had been getting all of our emails ( he was not on the chain) and just wanted us to know. There had apparently been a glitch in Outlook and the email was going to another person that had an alias of Freeman , same last name as one of my afore mentioned idiotic friends, set up in their email. I was mortified and apologized and told him that the sillyness would stop...He chuckled and said it was a pretty good chain of emails to read.
Aside from that things have been going pretty well though. It is lonely during the week. I will likely enjoy having another weekend all to myself but after that I will just want my family home. I have eaten all of the unhealthy foods that I need to, watched all of the movies I have been meaning to, fished until I was blue in the gills, and scratched my itchy parts when ever I wanted. I am anxiously awaiting the moment when five kids jump out of the car yelling my name and run up and hug me and I am sure Molly will be anxious to see a few of the new steps I have added to my Risky Business routine.


1 comment:

jrt said...

I didnt want to say anything but.............isn't THAT MY SHIRT ???