Thursday, June 19, 2008

Theater or NetFlix? THAT is the question!

Being a guy who derives a certain degree of enjoyment out of watching movies ,while being a guy who's pockets are not stuffed with cash, while being a father of five with not a whole lot of time, while also living thirty minutes from the nearest decent size theatre has forced me to develop a method, philosophy, or strategy dare I call it such to determining what movies to view in the theater and which to simply add to the NetFlix line up. I thought I would share it with the general public since it seems to be working pretty well for me. I should probably preface this by saying, as many of you surely already know, I have excellent taste when it comes to movies which is certainly the best tool to have in any such strategy. First I familiarize myself with the choices that are available for the upcoming movie season...I suggest buying the Entertainment Weekly Movie Guide for Fall and Summer. I then watch as many trailers as possible online. Yahoo Movies seems to work well as does You Tube. Before watching any movies I consult the critics. Now I am not saying let some stuffy critic who takes movies way to serious make your decisions for y0u but see what the critics are saying. I would recommend using http://www.rottentomatoes.com/ to do this. From here it simple. If the critics give the movie greater than a 40% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes then decide for yourself whether or not spend the cash on a $8 ticket. If it is above 85% and it is a movie you are interested in you should probably go see it. If the fresh rating is between 20% and 40% and you still are interested in watching it..save it for the Netflix line up....if the rating is below 20% don't waste your time or money. This seems to work for me..but as I mentioned earlier...I also have great taste in movies. Discuss amongst yourselves...

1 comment:

jrt said...

not on to the net-flix thing yet...........but we do use it at Rose Hill

I always find a movie in a theater very enjoyable ! I think the only movie I ever walked out on was Godfather II .........it was like way.............booooring

there have been a number of times that i have plopped down on the couch with a much anticipated flick.........and dozed off and never got to finish it

but.......I'm sure that never happens to you !!!