Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Make Tonight a Steak Night!




Having come under recent criticism for the lack of recent posts on my blog (clearly the demand for what is on my mind has been higher than anticipated). I decided to dedicate this post to one of my biggest fans and someone I consider to be one of my best friends. Mr. Travis Stokey and I have very little in common really on first glance but we share one important thing in common, a love of meat. Early in our friendship I was lucky enough to take part in one of his family traditions while my family was out of town. Every Thursday night the menu is the same at the Stokey residence! Its steak night! A secret marinate, carefully developed over years of steak grilling experience is prepared, the grill is fired up to just the right tempature, and some USDA Choice Black Angus steaks, bought on sale at a local Harris Teeter, are cooked to order on the Stokey grill. It is as predictable as the rising and setting of the sun. How thankful I am to have been able to share this tradition with his family one summer evening. We have been friends for quite a while but I was only invited that one time....but that is a topic for another post as the pain of never having been invited back is still too near to speak about. Since meeting Travis not a Thursday goes by in my life where I do not think to myself tonight is Steak Night! So do yourself a favor and make tonight a steak night in your home and when you do think of Travis Stokey, the man who started this wonderful tradition, a tradition I was only invited to share with him that one time despite our many years of friendship. And if you happen to be passing through Charlotte, NC and are looking to sample some of the best barbeque around..skip all the places you have seen on the Food Network and stop by the Stokey residence for some Boston Butt cooked on the Stokey smoker by a southern boy who knows how to cook meat. For Travis Stokey's talents do not end at cooking steak...he can also cook some of the best pulled pork around. As if bringing steak night to the people was not enough!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am humbled and honored to receive such praise! Okay, maybe not humbled, but at least I'm very honored.

This week our friends at Harris Teeter are pulling off the triple play. They have NY Strips and Ribeyes at buy one, get one free. In addition to that, they have their Boston Butts on sale for $0.88 a pound! I will be stocking up on both fronts tonight. I've already got 5 butts in my freezer from the last time they went on sale.

Too bad you don't live in CLT anymore because I'll need some help eating all this pork. Heck, had you posted such a complimentary blog when you lived here, you probably would've even garnered a steak invite!

Anonymous said...

An update... tonight's steak was All Time Top 10 material! Good stuff!

Gilly's Son said...

glad to hear it! After a post like that...a lot was at steak!

jrt said...

not that I care........I really don't have a stake in the matter !

but i did note ...........that gilly's boy..........chose to log in as "anonymous"

effectively doubling his readership !!!